Thursday, July 5, 2007

Article in Annapolis Capitol Newspaper 10/8/2006

CHURCH: Mr. Kenneth Foor is the pastor at the Epping Forest Chapel in Annapolis. He is also an active Minister, Teacher, Chair of the Wellness & Healing Committee and Treasurer of the Board of Directors at the Institute for Spiritual Development in Washington, D.C. Rev. Ken began serving the Epping Forest Chapel in 2004 as a substitute minister and became pastor in October 2005.

EDUCATION: Graduated from Beall High School in Frostburg, Md.
and has a bachelor’s degree in Business and Accounting from the University of Maryland. Ken was ordained in 2002 from the Institute of Spiritual Development, a non-denomination church. He also studied at Sancta Sophia Seminary.

BACKGROUND: Born in western Maryland, he’s married to Rev. Sherry Foor. Ken was Chaplain of his high school class and has also served as Chaplain for other organizations. He has been the CIO and Director of Information Technology (IT) at the District of Columbia Courts until his retirement in 2006. He has performed numerous Civil Marriage ceremonies while working for the District of Columbia. In the Air Force, Ken served as a policeman in the K-9 unit. Ken’s primary career has been in the computer field where he programmed and developed computer systems. He has been a project manager, technical manager and head of several IT departments. Ken has always been interested in God’s gift of healing. He has become certified in eight different healing techniques as well as pastoral and spiritual counseling. Ken also served as President and Treasurer for the Board of Directors of Epping Forest, Inc.

BIGGEST CHALLENGE: Reducing my private CPA and consulting practice to make time for ministerial studies and preparing for a new career as a full time pastor.

LONG RANGE GOAL: To establish a Spiritual Healing Center and bring Spirit into as many people’s lives as possible by counseling, teaching and performing marriages, christening and memorial services.

LIKES MOST ABOUT THE JOB: Presenting uplifting and inspirational homilies, singing beautiful gospel music and seeing the magic of Spirit working in people’s lives.

LEAST LIKE: Having too few attend Sunday service.

WHY CHOSE CAREER: He was baptized and raised in a Southern Baptist Church where he was a student minister. He lost interest in religion after leaving home to enter the Air Force, college and building a career. After attending classes and services at the Institute for Spiritual Development, he felt like he had returned home and wanted to serve God. He met many retired people who were serving as active ministers and teachers. His mentor, Rev. Jane Grey who was ordained at the age of 79, inspired him and demonstrated that one is never too old to serve God.

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE: Matthew 7 7-8: “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened”. This is an example of God’s promise and key to all God’s wonder and wisdom.

HOBBIES: Sailing, fishing, reading and learning new healing modalities.

Chapel History From the Epping Forest News, March 1958 and updated in 2000:

In the summer of 1950 ground was donated by Mr. H. H. Spencer for a site for a on-denominational church. A request was made for contributions and for volunteer help when construction was to begin. Work was started on November 6, 1950 with the felling of sixteen trees, the trees themselves paying the operator for the work. Grading was begun on November 24 and the following August 19th the cornerstone was laid. Mr. Spencer, at that time in his 80's, almost single handedly built this monument, with assistance on weekends from Mr. Angle and Mr. Irwin.

When funds became low, Mr. Cohill chanced off two turkeys and realized $213.25; Mary Spencer, Jean Rhodes, Ave Harrison and Peg Cohill held a Rummage Sale which resulted in a total collection of $82.60. Mr. Crampton contributed the hardware; Mrs. Simmons gave a large Bible; Miss Price donated two lots which were raffled off.

On July 12, 1953, the first service was held with about 50 people in attendance. Through the efforts of Doris Knackstedt, an electric organ was obtained and Mr. Nickerson and Charlie Fitzgerald graded and seeded the Chapel lawn. Mr. Goodman installed the oak slab walk which has since been replaced. The first wedding was on July 3, 1954 when Lois Thomas was married.

In 1954, the building was still very rough and unfinished inside, and the outside was drab - without paint or shrubbery. Since that time, electric ceiling lights have been installed, interior painted, floor carpeted, outside finished with stucco and concrete steps and walk added. The inside trim, including screens for the windows have been completed, the work having been done by Williams Bros., Inc., the contractor who erected the new addition to the Clubhouse, and the plastering of the inside walls by Mr. Howard D. Zook of Epping Forest, all of which have immeasurably improved the appearance of the Chapel. At that time, the Chapel Committee's next goal was to secure pews to replace the temporary benches that were in use since the Chapel opened. Pews were obtained and are still in use today.

In the summer of 1999, the Chapel asked the community for donations to make improvements to the Chapel. In April of 2000, the Chapel was rededicated after improvements were made to the interior and exterior of the building. Because of the kind generosity of many Foresters, the dry wall ceiling was replaced with a cedar one, air conditioning was installed, and both the interior and exterior walls were refurbished and repainted. An outside light was installed and a Chapel sign was erected. The community should be indeed be proud of its Chapel, its zealous and hardworking Chapel Committee, and finally the fellow Foresters who have given so generously of their time and money to the successful completion of this spiritual monument.

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The Chapel in the Forest

Book Cover
Copyright 2001 by Florence Mulhern All Rights reserved

Forence Mulhern has donated her time and effort to write the history of the Chapel. This book will be provided to all of those who graciously donated to the restoration of the Chapel. For those who would like additional copies or did not have an opportunity to donate towards the restoration, copies will be available at various community events or from the Chapel committee for a donation to the Chapel.

"Completed in 1935, the Epping Forest Chapel has been for nearly half a century a focal point of this small forested community and a center of its spirit and religious devotion. It is a monument to its builder, Harry Spencer who struggled against great odds and doubts to build it. Restored in 1999-2000, it is also a tribute to the donors and volunteers who have given it a new life for the twenty-first century." "Here is the story of t he Epping Forest Chapel, its good times and bad, from the dream of one man to the pride of an entire community for generations to come."